OBJECTIVE

*To allow peers/community to contribute in the orang-utan conservation efforts.

Orangutans...who?

The Malay word orangutan means "person of the forest". These long haired, orangish primates are found only in Sumatera and Borneo, are highly intelligent nd are close relatives of humans.

They are highly intelligent mammals - they share alomst 97% of the human DNA.


Extinction They Face.

Orang-utans in Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak occur mainly in the lowlands. In Sarawak, there are about 1,300 orang-utans, almost all in the Lanjak-Entimau Wildlife Sanctuary and Batang Ai National Park in the south next to West Kalimantan, Indonesia. In Sabah, there were five main areas of special importance with a total of 20,000 orang-utans in the mid 1980s (by WWF-Malaysia working with the Sabah Forestry Depratment, 1986)

By 2004, the orang-utan population in Sabah had dropped to about 11,000 individuals (by Kinabatangan Orang-utan Conservation Project working with Sabah Wildlife Deparment, 2003). This decline in their numbers in the last twenty years was caused by planned conversion of forests to plantations in the eastern lowlands.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Let me hear you talk.

Have you ever wondered what are the differences between a male orangutan and a female orangutan ? Well, take a look at this pictures.

Notice the difference yet? Well, the left one is a male, and the right one is a female. The male generally have a larger cheek.


Interesting ,huh? * I didn't know that either *

Oops, you caught me there. I have to admit that I do not know MUCH about orangutans, and immature in this topic I would say. But I would gaurantee you that my team members and I are learning about this unique species, bit by bit ! So to amaze our peers and to educate us more on orangutans & what are our individual role in conservation efforts, my team decided to call in the experts in this field.

My team coorperated with LEO Club of SMKSJ to invite people who are more familiar, or shall i say the experts of orangutans? We invited speakers from Wild Out Experiences, or better known as W-O-X Sdn Bhd , one of the inspiring NGOs in Malaysia, doing their part in helping species that are in the brink of extinction (orang utans).
Inspiring Talk : Anu from W-O-X.

Speakers : Katie and Ili
Pictures : Books on orangutans


Inspire us :D

Wished you were there? You should!

The enthusiasm of the speakers were amazing. I personally think the talk was a success. Most of our friends who attended the talk kept talking about it *big smiles*.


To my TEAM MEMBERS : I love you guys! :D

Meet the team of speakers (+ savingtheutans team members + LEO members) ,

The experts and the immatures :D

Cheers,

Cherlyn (:

No comments:

Post a Comment